For many years, destination weddings have been on the rise. A destination wedding is usually held at a tropical location and combines the honeymoon with the wedding itself. Guests travel to the location and spend up to a week celebrating with the couple.
There are several reasons that couples opt for a destination wedding; when a large portion of the family has to travel to get to the wedding, anyway, when they are from different areas of the country and do not want to decide against one hometown for another and to save money… believe it or not, couples who have destination weddings typically spend less.
According to Travel & Leisure magazine, the top wedding destinations are as follows:
1) Mexico.No surprise here. Mexico is close and entices couples with its warm, sunny weather, colorful culture, extensive coastline, spicy cuisine, and wide choice of accommodations. You will not be disappointed.
2) Jamaica.A lush island, Jamaica has beaches, waterfalls, mountains to explore. With more all-inclusives than anywhere else in the Caribbean and a reggae beat, and it’s no wonder it’s so popular!
3) Dominican Republic. With fine boutique hotels and price-competitive all-inclusives, this is a wonderful place to begin your lives together.
4) Bahamas. Just off the coast of Florida you can find everything you want whether you opt for developed Nassau, Freeport, Paradise, and Grand Bahama Island or one of the low-key Out Islands.
5) Hawaii. You don’t have to bring a passport to enjoy tropic paradise, jsut ask anyone who has ever been to Hawaii.
Honorable Mention goes to any of the U.S. Virgin Islands. Whether you choose St. Thomas, St. Croix or St. John, you will not have any problems except deciding which of these islands is best for you. They are all magnificent and they are all U.S. territories so there are no legal hassles.
Whichever one of these places is best for you it is important to use a reputable Destination Wedding Specialist. They will know all of the in’s, out’s and pitfalls of the particular resort you have chosen. They will also more than likely be able to get you a better deal and more extras. You can do it all by yourself but, it can be quite a bit of stress. Better to sit back, relax and don’t sweat the small stuff.
-Penny Frulla for Bridal Expo Chicago