It only takes a few days with single digit temperatures for couples to open up to the idea of a destination wedding.
For many years, destination weddings have been on the rise. Usually held at tropical locations, they combine the honeymoon with the wedding itself. Guests travel to the location and can spend up to a week celebrating with the couple.
There are several reasons that couples opt for a destination wedding… one of which is to save money! Believe it or not, couples who have destination weddings typically spend less overall.
According to Travel & Leisure magazine, the top wedding destinations are as follows:
1) Mexico. No surprise here. Mexico is close and entices couples with its warm, sunny weather, colorful culture, extensive coastline, spicy cuisine, and wide choice of accommodations. You will not be disappointed.
2) Jamaica. A lush island, Jamaica has beaches, waterfalls, mountains to explore. With more all-inclusives than anywhere else in the Caribbean and a reggae beat, and it’s no wonder it’s so popular!
3) Dominican Republic. With fine boutique hotels and price-competitive all-inclusives, this is a wonderful place to begin your lives together.
4) Bahamas. Just off the coast of Florida you can find everything you want whether you opt for developed Nassau, Freeport, Paradise, and Grand Bahama Island or one of the low-key Out Islands.
5) Hawaii. You don’t have to bring a passport to enjoy a tropical paradise, just ask anyone who has ever been to Hawaii.
Honorable Mention goes to any of the U.S. Virgin Islands. Whether you choose St. Thomas, St. Croix or St. John, you will not have any problems except deciding which of these islands is best for you. They are all magnificent and they are all U.S. territories so there are no legal hassles.
No matter which destination you choose it is important to use a reputable Destination Wedding Specialist. They will know all of the in’s, out’s and pitfalls of the particular resort you have chosen. They will also more than likely be able to get you a better deal and more extras. You can do it all by yourself but, it can be quite a bit of stress.
Better to sit back, relax and stick a little umbrella in your drink!
-Penny Frulla for Bridal Expo Chicago